Clifton Rugby Club was formed on 27th September 1872 at the Kings Arms on Blackboy Hill in Clifton, Bristol. The pub still stands , although it was rebuilt in 1902, and since refurbishment in the late 1990's was known as Bohemia. It was then renamed Babushka, then Stark and was refurbished and renamed The Black Bear at the end of 2007. We are the 30th oldest club in the United Kingdom, the 19th oldest in England, the 2nd oldest in the South West (Bath beat us by 7 years) and the oldest in Bristol.
Visit the largest rugby history site in the world - www.cliftonrfchistory.co.uk
We have had 3 players gain international honours while playing for Clifton, James Arthur Bush in 1872, 73, 75, and 76, Hiatt Cowles Baker in 1887 and John Currie 1956-62. Many players have played for their country before or after playing for Clifton, most notable of these are 2 England captains, in 1955 Peter Young and in 1967 Colin McFadyean and the first captain of Wales, James Alfred Bevan, in 1881.
Clifton are lucky enough to have an excellent Historian in Patrick Casey who runs a separate website widely acknowledged as the largest rugby history site in the world, www.cliftonrfchistory.co.uk